Cookies and Policy
Welder needed Transnet
Welder needed Transnet
Full Job Description
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : Recruitment-SRX@transnet.net
The closing date is on 31.03.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Engineering
Position Title : Snr Engineer (Welding)
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Salt River
Reporting To : Chief Engineer (Services)
Grade Level : E
Reference Number : 30012353
To provide input to the welding element of the design process; To support manufacturing during the project execution
specifically focusing on welding aspects of production; Input to the design of welds; Specifying the correct consumables;
Developing and records; Providing technical guidance during the prototype build as well as in-line inspections; Failures
investigations and the subsequent development of repair procedures.
1. Welding design input on new and existing designs
2. Development of welding procedures specifications
3. Welding design changes on prototypes
4. Technical reviews
5. Input to procurement for sub-contracting and subsequent audits of sub-contractors
6. Interaction with customers
7. Developing of welding maps; sequences and process amendments for prototypes followed by controlled roll-out in
8. Management of welding inspection
9. Recommendation of the appropriate NDT
10. Set up of QMS and certification of the plant of governing construction codes.
11. Approval of Equipment; consumables and machinery to be used for welding processes.
12. Approval of welding on prototypes.
Qualifications & Experience:
1. BSC. Engineering or B.Eng degree in Metallurgical or Mechanical
2. Must be Accredited and registered as an International Welding Engineer (IWE) or European Welding Engineer (EWE);
3. 6 years relevant experience in the welding related environment;
4. Experience as a Welding engineer in a rail environment will be an added advantage;
5. Post graduate studies (MEng / MSc) in Welding Engineering will be an added advantage
1. Sound knowledge of relevant fabrication codes, standards and procedures such as EN, ASME, API, AWS
2. Expert knowledge of welding technologies used in the rail industry
3. Extensive knowledge of materials and their behaviour during welding operations
4. Extensive knowledge of Non-Destructive Testing methods and techniques.
5. Engineering and production processes
6. Reporting and presentation skills
7. Time management and ability to juggle different projects at the same time.
8. Read drawings and understand designs
9. ISO 9001, ISO 3834 and EN 15085
STRATEGY & SUSTAINABILITY
BUSINESS PERFORMANCE& DELIVERY
Lead Business Performance
Strategic Decision Making
Collaborating and Networks
Persuading and Influencing
(Visited 81 times, 1 visits today)